Search This Blog

Monday 19 April 2010

A weekend under the Icelandic Volcanic Dust

The Icelandic Volcanic Dust has a lot answer for. No flights, no jobs, the Scorpion grounded and ultimately relegated to the garden by her in doors. Now I want you to understand this is my wife Eunice's sacred ground and when she is around working in it is not for the faint hearted.

First job to remove a tree's roots which I accomplished with no hassle as Eunice was out. Then on her return the next job was to find a lot of top soil, and I mean a lot which needed to be sieved from under our huge hedge!

First problem, a seized barrow wheel so with no option open to me I decided to use it anyway. As moving it was restricted it didn't do the lawn any good either! It also appears I don't know how to use a barrow either as I should have put another bag inside said barrow so moving the soil from barrow to location was easier, you learn something every day!

After struggling with said barrow with seized wheel a solution under the Volcanic Dust was offered with lighter weight barrow version 2. I could now move forward at a pace. When filling said barrow version 2, which of course included the bag inside it, guess what, that had a flat tyre which wasn't apparent until I filled it.

So with 2 knack???? wheels on my barrow's life became a struggle. It now appeared the only solution was to carry said barrow with flat tyre to the soils destination. Onward still with a spring in my step I deposited said sieved soil into location, mistake, it was of course in the wrong place, silly me I should have known better!

So back under the hedge sieving soil I felt safe and away from any hassle which seemed quite peaceful after all. In my deliberations I decided there was a solution for the movement of the sieved soil to the desired location, leave that to the wife and I wouldn't get into bother again. So with barrow full I positioned it, with bag in it of course, in the area of the soils final location, good job with compliments flowing a plenty.

Forward to Sunday morning and of course after F1 it was time to inspect how I was to repair said punctured barrow wheel on the alternative lightweight barrow. Removed the tube and all seemed well so off to garage to blow it up. With air in its tyre the barrow was perfect and all seemed well as movement was now smoother and the lawn wasn't under duress.

Back under the hedge and things moved on a pace until I realised I was going to be there until 2011 sieving enough soil to fill in the area in question. After a garden meeting to discuss said top soil required I decided enough was enough so hot footed to the garden centre to purchase supplies.

Back at home said purchased bags of top soil were deposited in position and things began to look better, albeit still not enough. Back under the hedge but not with relish I sieved again and completed a further barrow full which definitely had an impact.

After the trials and tribulations of the barrow wheels I then decided to have a look at barrow version 1 and its seized wheel. Looking very professional, I equipped myself with several tool boxes and attacked the seized wheel.

Now accepting this wheel has probably been in situ for many a year, of course the first thing that happened was the nut sheared off on the first movement of the spanner. Now we have a perfect barrow without a wheel and I have to innovate a solution or simply buy a new barrow, which will go down like a lead brick.

All in all an eventful weekend and once again the Icelandic Volcanic Dust has a lot to answer for.
blog comments powered by Disqus